We are working with an established manufacturer and provider of transmission solutions to the global security, transportation, oil and gas and defence sectors.
A vacancy has arisen for a Technical Support Manager to join and lead the Technical Team ensuring that both you and the team provide industry leading pre and post-sales support to the Sales Team, customers and consultants.
Based: Leeds, UK (mixture of office and flexible home working is also possible) (occasional travel to the Southern office will also be required)
Reporting to: Technical Director
To manage and inspire a small but expanding Technical Support Team and provide pre and post-sales support to the Sales Team and customers - as described below.
- Manage the Technical Support Team, currently all UK based but in line with the company’s expansion plans will also include technical support staff in other countries within the next 6-12 months.
- Proactive provision of pre-sales and post-sales technical product support for the company's full range of technology, including fibre transmission, unmanaged, semi-managed and managed ethernet switches, routers, and wireless transmission equipment.
- Create detailed project designs for the sales team within tight deadlines and liaise closely with external customers to ensure that the proposed solutions meet the required specifications.
- Manage the production of HLD and LLD documentation for projects won and to be implemented incorporating equipment from both the company as well as Juniper including interaction with 3rd party professional services companies.
- Develop our professional services offering for large scale projects where additional revenue can be generated from these services.
- Liaising with technology partners – conducting compatibility testing to ensure our equipment operates correctly with 3rd party equipment.
- Produce and maintain product related documentation – to include installation manuals, application notes, specification guides, A&E specs and technical presentations etc.
- Assist the marketing team with technical content creation and maintenance for the technical section of the website.
- Manage the technical and training aspects of the company and Juniper partnership, ensuring active growth of the relationship with introduction of the latest products, technology, and training to the team working directly with Juniper and their distribution channel partner.
- Ensure that the technical team calls and e-mails are logged, resolved, and closed within an agreed timescale, handling escalations, and liaising with the engineering and product management teams for assistance where required.
- Undertake customer visits and technical training, both in the UK and overseas as required.
- Conduct product testing – customer problem investigations / special engineering configurations / pre-commissioning configuration and testing for company and Juniper products.
- Work closely with the Engineering and Product Management teams to have an active role in the new product development process as well as supporting the prototype evaluation, product release and compatibility testing phases.
- Generate technical drawings in PowerPoint, Visio and other packages to illustrate project designs – in assisting the Sales Team and customers.
- On-site commissioning and FAT testing support for large-scale projects.
- Participation in off-site trade show exhibitions both in the UK and overseas as required to support the sales team with readily available technical expertise.
- Nurture and develop the technical support team to further their knowledge and experience in complex network design and implementation.
- Maintain the necessary documentation and systems for the technical support team to ensure the compliance with the overall company ISO9001 certification.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
- Comfortable with communicating solutions and ideas to customers whose native language may not be English.
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team.
- Proactive, confident, and self-assured.
- Ambitious to develop and progress.
- Flexible and positive outlook.
Technical Skills and Experience
- The ideal candidate will be confident in ethernet routing, switching, networking technologies and product configuration, preferably holding a minimum of an HND/Degree (or equivalent) in electronic engineering or computing (or a related field).
- Juniper and/or Cisco certification to minimum of CCNA/JNCIA. higher level of Cisco or Juniper certification would be highly desirable – there will be a requirement to obtain, develop and maintain Juniper certification for yourself as well as the whole technical team which will be supported by the company.
- Familiarity with standard ethernet protocols as well as how to implement these protocols to create effective and resilient network topologies is required. Experience of layer 2 protocols such as RSTP, MSTP, VLAN’s; PoE, IGMP, SNMP etc. Experience of layer 3 protocols such as RIP, OSPF, BGP, IPsec etc.
- Practical hardware and configuration experience with networking products is expected – to include Layer 2 Media converters and switches and Layer 3 switches and routers.
- Operational knowledge of physical security products, to include analogue and IP CCTV, access control and intrusion panels and their integration and interfacing with networks would be a distinct advantage.
- Direct experience of technical support and fault-finding in ethernet based systems using standard tools such as Wireshark etc. is a mandatory requirement for this role.
- Experience of wireless networking products and protocols would be an advantage for this role.
- Experience of and confidence in directly interfacing with customers, consultants, and sales teams, from a pre-sales perspective, is an expected requirement.
- Strong PC literacy with experience of MS PowerPoint/Word/Excel, Visio etc.
The above job specification is a guideline to the role and should not be regarded as specific and fixed. Employees are expected to perform their duties in accordance with their job specifications, as well as demonstrate initiative wherever required to ensure the efficient and effective execution of tasks.
- Up to £55K basic salary
- Flexible working
- Company pension